5 Cedar Shake Roofing Maintenance Tips
As the weather conditions and temperatures change, wood shake roof tiles
expand and contract. This is a normal process that can lead to tiles cracking. Those cracks, if left untreated, can lead to serious roof leaks
and costly repairs. Therefore, regular maintenance is critical.
- Check for damage regularly. With wood shake roofing, we recommend semi-annual roofing inspection. During this evaluation your roofing contractor will be checking for typical damage such as cracks, broken or curled shakes, rusted or loosened flashing, and cracked areas around chimneys and joints.
- Make sure there’s no lichen, moss or mold growth. It is vital to prevent moss from building up, as it can trap moisture in your cedar roofing panels. Over time, excess moisture will damage the panels and may even cause leaks in the interior of your home. Also, clean your gutters regularity to prevent blockage and the growth of mold and fungi in your gutter system.
- To add resilience and enhance your cedar roof’s appearance invest in power-washing and the application of chemical cleaning solutions, preservatives, and pigmented finishes. There’s a wide range of roof preservatives for wood shake tiles available on the market today, all of which are either water-based or oil-based.
- Weathering and discolorations are part of wood shake roof’s beauty. To enhance this natural look, invest in a pigmented finish that will withstand the elements and preserve the wood’s color for years to come. It’s important to choose a finish that is fire resistant and designed to withstand local weather extremes. Also know that these treatments require training and special equipment, and, if improperly applied, can erode the shakes and harm surrounding surfaces and foliage. Your NJ roofing contractor can advise you on the appropriate treatments for your roof, and then make sure that those treatments are applied safely.
- Ensure proper attic ventilation & adequate insulation. This is one of the most important elements in extending the life of your roof. Without proper ventilation, heat and moisture can accumulate in the attic, leading to roof rot and deteriorating insulation. Likewise, a properly insulated attic space will allow your roof to perform at peak efficiency.
We Install Cedar Shake Roofing!
f you’re thinking about using wood shake shingle roofing on your NJ home
, make sure you select a quality product
. The best shakes are made from the center of huge, aged cedar trees—and are manufactured by companies who insist upon quality in their shake mills.
If you’re unsure about how to make your decision, contact LGC Roofing for a free wood shake roofing estimate
and a list of high-quality cedar shake options. Call 908.378.5951
today to discuss your roofing needs with one of our experienced specialists—or to request a written estimate for your cedar roof repair or replacement