Taking care of minor maintenance prevents larger problems from occurring. If you need help, call M&M Construction Specialist today!
- Rake or mulch the yard. Use a rake or leaf blower to consolidate the leaves in a pile and then bag and dispose of them. You can also use your lawnmower to shred the leaves and leave them on your lawn as mulch.
- Clear the gutters. To prevent water build up and damage from improper drainage, the gutters and downspouts need to be cleared of leaves and debris. Using a ladder can be dangerous. Hire a professional gutter cleaner to take care of this task.
- Trim the shrubs and trees around your home. Winter’s heavy snow drags down boughs and branches, which can break off and damage your home’s exterior. Cut these back ahead of time to prevent this type of damage.
- Prepare your winter tools and equipment. Inspect your snow shovels, roof rakes, and ice scrapers. Test run and tune up your snow blower. As you take out and inspect your winter tools, it’s also a good time to store away your summer tools and yard equipment.
- Inspect the roof. Walk around your home and examine your roof from every angle. If you discover any loose or damaged shingles, repair these areas before the snow and ice get a chance to exacerbate the damage. If you are unsure what damage looks like on a roof, your best bet is to contact a professional roofing contractor to perform an inspection.
- Hire a professional chimney sweep. An annual chimney inspection and cleaning by a professional chimney sweep will ensure safer operation of any fireplaces, wood stoves, or pellet stoves you may have.
- Turn off exterior faucets. To prevent damage from frozen faucet valves or burst pipes, turn off the water supply to your exterior faucets from inside your home. It’s a good idea to drain and store garden hoses as well.
- Repair the exterior. Your home’s exterior paint or siding is its first line of defense against the elements. Closely inspect your home’s exterior and spot-repair any damaged, missing, or worn areas.
- Winterize grills, patio furniture, and outdoor accessories. Clean and store your patio furniture and other lawn ornaments to prevent damage.
- Stock up early on winter essentials. When a severe storm is in the forecast, many hardware stores run out of supplies. To avoid the last minute rush or sold out stores, stock up now on essential items such as sand, salt, shovels, and roof rakes.
Learn about M&M Construction Specialist, central and northern New Jersey’s home improvement expert.
Roofing ● Siding ● Windows ● Doors ● Basements ● Framing ● Masonry
Residential ● Commercial ● Custom Homes ● Additions ● Historic Restoration
Serving Central and Northern NJ
Middlesex, Union, Somerset, Sussex, Morris, Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Hudson Counties
Licensed and Insured